The European Defence Fund (EDF) is the Commission’s initiative to support collaborative defence research and development, and to foster an innovative and competitive defence industrial base.
The proposals must aim at developing a comprehensive EU NAVWAR capability, relying on space-based and ground-based surveillance, and complementing current European efforts to strengthen the future Galileo PRS service resilience for military applications and the development of the user segment used by the forces of the EU Member States. To this end, the proposals must address the NAVWAR overall system, including a modular NAVWAR information-management system, networked with NAVWAR subsystems and NAVWAR PRS sensors. The objective is to achieve overall global capability dealing simultaneously with resilience, surveillance, and offensive measures.
Different NAVWAR PRS sensors, along with common interfaces, must be determined and combined in various use cases as NAVWAR subsystems (integration environments) to create a NAVWAR network. They must include Galileo as PNT source and Galileo PRS as a PNT service. The interfaces with other communities and stakeholders must be specified as part of the proof of concept.
The proposals must address the following crucial development strands:
1. Support, via a space-based and ground-based NAVWAR surveillance system, the nominal performances of GNSS/PRS receivers in a contested and hostile electromagnetic environment;
– Allowing localization, identification and characterization of main threats, and monitoring of GNSS signals; – Including the federation of NAVWAR operational centres (used by the Member States based on a NAVWAR information-management system for data exploitation and C2 of the network of NAVWAR sensors/subsystems (space and ground)), that will support the implementation of the overall NAVWAR capability (including PRS);
– Including interfaces with other communities in order to exchange NAVWAR situational awareness picture and recommended offensive measures;
– including common standards for NAVWAR surveillance interoperability among EU Member States;
2. Develop a modular PRS mobile receiver concept able to contribute to the network of NAVWAR sensors/subsystems, and possibly benefit from the overall capability; functional requirements related to data content and delivery aspects, must in particular properly identify typical performance features that must be made available to the user segment through a secondary channel or in a server-based GNSS service approach;
– This must include a risk reduction phase for maturation of miniaturized, modular, and SWaP-C optimized mobile PRS technologies and analysis regarding availability by EU vendors;
3. Implement anti-jamming and anti-spoofing technologies in secure innovative architectures to support PNT superiority.
All aforementioned workstrands must take into account on-going EU funded initiatives, in particular Galileo 2nd generation, and complement the on-going EDIDP GEODE developments/designs with modular miniaturized form factor PRS technologies, in particular for small platforms or mobile use cases.
The proposals must provide an efficient answer to a variety of operational concerns. (see p.54-55 of the EDF 2021).
The action shall be carried out by legal entities cooperating within a consortium of at least three eligible legal entities which are established in at least three different Member States or associated countries. At least three of those eligible legal entities established in at least two different Member States or associated countries shall not, during the entire period in which the action is carried out, be controlled, directly or indirectly, by the same legal entity and shall not control each other.
The admissibility and eligibility conditions are described under Article 9 and Article 10(4) of the EDF regulation.
Department of Research and Innovation
Phones: 22 807755, 22 807754
(Publish Date: 04/10/2021-for internal use only)
European Directorate-General for Defence Industry and Space (DEFIS)