The strategic planning process focuses in particular on Pillar II of Horizon Europe, "Global challenges and European industrial competitiveness" and also covers relevant activities in other pillars and the Widening Participation and Strengthening the European Research Area part.
The result of this strategic planning is set out in a multiannual strategic plan, for preparing the content of the work programmes covering a maximum period of four years.
The strategic plan contains
- key strategic orientations for research and innovation support and their targeted impact
- identification of European co-funded and co-programmed partnerships
- identification of EU missions
- areas of international cooperation
- orientations on specific issues like social sciences and humanities, gender, and the role of key enabling technologies
Following the political agreement of March-April 2019, the Commission began an ambitious and inclusive strategic planning towards the first strategic plan (2021-2024), for the first four years of Horizon Europe.
This plan helps to ensure that research and innovation actions contribute to EU priorities including a climate-neutral and green Europe, fit for the digital age, where the economy works for the people.
Click here to read the Strategic Plan
Click here to get the overview of the Strategic Plan