Galileo is supporting the implementation and operation of satellite navigation systems. Galileo and EGNOS (European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service) programmes are flagship projects of the Union. In the period 2014-2020 the programme will finance the completion of the deployment phase of the Galileo programme, the exploitation phase of the same programme and operation of the EGNOS system.
The aim of the Galileo programme is to establish and operate the first global satellite navigation and positioning infrastructure specifically designed for civilian purposes. The aim of the EGNOS programme is to improve the quality of signals from existing global navigation satellite systems (GNSS).
The specific objectives of the Galileo programme are:
- To offer an open service (OS), which is free to the user and provides positioning and synchronisation information intended for high-volume satellite navigation applications;
- To offer a safety-of-life service (SoL) aimed at users for whom safety is essential. this service also fulfils the requirements of certain sectors for continuity, availability and accuracy and includes an integrity function alerting the user to any failure in the system;
- To offer a commercial service (CS) for the development of applications for professional or commercial use by means of improved performance and data with greater added value than those obtained through the open service;
- To offer a public regulated service (PRS) restricted to government-authorised users, for sensitive applications which require a high level of service continuity; this service uses strong, encrypted signals;
- To participate in the search and rescue support service (SAR) of the COSPASSARSAT system by detecting emergency signals given off by beacons and relaying messages to them.
- The specific objectives of the EGNOS programme:
- To offer an open service (OS), which is free to the user and provides positioning and synchronisation information intended for high-volume satellite navigation applications in the area covered by the system;
- To offer a service for the dissemination of commercial data, the EGNOS Data Access Service (EDAS), to promote the development of applications for professional or commercial use by means of improved performance and data with greater added value than those obtained through the open service;
- To offer a safety-of-life service (SoL) service aimed at users for whom safety is essential; in particular, this service fulfils the requirements of certain sectors for continuity, availability and accuracy and includes an integrity message alerting the user to any failure in the system over the coverage area.
The EGNOS programme also has the specific objective of extending geographic coverage to these services throughout the territory of the Union and, subject to technical constraints and on the basis of international agreements, to other regions of the world, in particular territories of third countries covered by the single European sky.
- Activities relating to the deployment phase of the Galileo programme, including actions to manage and monitor this phase;
- Activities relating to operation of the system established under the Galileo programme, including advance or preparatory actions for this phase;
- Activities associated with the operation of the EGNOS system.
The Union budget appropriations assigned to the programmes may also cover Commission expenditure relating to preparation, monitoring, inspection, audit and assessment activities required for their management and the implementation of the objectives, in particular expenditure covering:
- Studies and meetings with experts;
- Information and communication activities, including institutional communication on the policy priorities of the Union where they are directly linked to the objectives of this Regulation;
- IT technology networks, with the objective of processing or transferring data;
- Any other technical or administrative assistance given to the Commission for the management of programmes.
Financing percentage by EU or other bodies / Level of Subsidy or Loan
- Information Technology
Eligibility for Participation
- Central Government
- Private Bodies
- Researchers/Research Centers/Institutions
- State-owned Enterprises
National Contact Point(s)
Ministry of Communications and Works
Department of Electronic Communications
email: [email protected]
EU Contact Point
DG Enterprise and Industry